This track focuses on Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR) scenarios with the power of NetApp Services and Google Cloud Platform. Attendees will gain experience and knowledge, starting from scratch by exploring NetApp Services and moving on to the more complex challenges up to full DR solution in Google Cloud Platform.
Challenge 1: Exploring NetApp Public Cloud Services on the Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarize yourself with the GCP Console, artifacts, terminal etc.
- Getting started with NetApp in Google Cloud (Cloud Central accounts, Cloud Manager, API’s etc.)
- Deploy the connector - to see the process
Challenge 2: Let’s backup what we have!
- Attendees will need to configure backup of the already running on-premise system.
- They will use Cloud Backup service to backup the on-prem ONTAP system
Challenge 3: Preparing for the worst
For the OnTap running on-premise, attendees will create a DR site in GCP They will start by deploying CVO in GCP, then configuring replication and then do the failover. The resilience will be shown by shutting down the on-prem, and by shutting down one of the nodes.
Challenge 4: Now we are going to replicate
Attendees will create a replication relationship between the on-premise environment and the cloud and test it to make sure all the files have been copied to the cloud exactly as they are in the on-premise environment. They will need volume is exposed as a new share via CVO System Manager
Challenge 5: Sync and move
Leverage Cloud Sync to get the data from CVO that has been lift-and-shifted to CVS Performance. The VM with the app is going to be prepared, attendees will need to attach the CVS to the VM.
Challenge 6: The Resilient Application
- Leverage CVS Performance feature to do replicate the data across regions
- Clone the VM running the application to the region that data has been replicated to
- Configure the VM to use the replicated volume
- Configure Traffic Director to failover the traffic in case of outage
- Test the DR setup